New Year, New Goals

It’s a new year, which means it’s time to write out a list of goals!

This has been a habit of mine for the last four years, ever since I read this from Keith Ferrazzi’s Never Eat Alone (I looked for the original study, but couldn’t find it):

“Luck has little to do with achievement, as a study cited in Success magazine makes clear.  In the study, researchers asked Yale’s class of 1953 a number of questions.  Three had to do with goals.

  • Have you set goals?
  • Have you written them down?
  • Do you have a plan to accomplish them?

…In 1973, when the same class was resurveyed, the differences between the goal setters and everyone else were stunning.  The 13 percent who had goals that were not in writing were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84 percent of students who had no goals at all.  But most surprising of all, the 3 percent who had written their goals down were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97 percent of graduates combined!”

Last year, I blogged about how I approach writing down goals; I’ll be doing roughly the same thing this year.

I’m always on the lookout for good time management tips; I find it interesting how people motivate themselves and optimize their time so that they can achieve things.

Apparently, there’s a popular organizational method devised by David Allen called Getting Things Done (GTD).  I’ve added his book to my reading queue. Thanks to Christine Bougie for mentioning GTD in this post.  It looks as though Christine has her own unique setup too!

Also, it seems that Leo Babauta from Zen Habits has a unique approach.  Or, maybe no approach at all!  Lately, Leo has been writing about achieving without goals and that the best goal is no goal.

Whatever you do, keep your goals to yourself!  You’re more likely to achieve them.

How about you?  Do you have a unique way of managing your tasks to achieve your goals?  Please share and comment!

Leave a Reply

*required